[1969] A/C Install

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 20:44:30 EDT 2007

Rob:  So I have a question for you (and/or other 69
group members).

I live in New York where it's only hot in the summer.
I would use A/C probably a dozen times a year, plus
whenever my wife gets in the car (-:

WOuld you then suggest installing the condenser in the
trunk?  Clark's says you're on your own regarding this
install...it requires cutting, welding and
fabricating, etc.

WOuld that condenser go on the floor of the trunk?
I'm debating whether it's worth bothering with all
that extra effort to for a system that would only be
used for a small amount of days during the year,
unlike the Southwest where it's VERY hot VERY often!

Thanks for you advice...Bill Hershkowitz  #5056

I have the shrouds removed (since I live in the AZ
desert), and have the 12 fin cooler in place.  The
transmission cable seal I have replaced with a viton
O-ring twice to be sure that is not where the
transmission is dumping.

I have a 65' engine so no smog stuff exists.

I will get the installation guide from Clark's as I
know Rusty put it together before he sold the package
to Clark's.

Good luck installing your A/C system. Using the
original equipment I found it took a LONG TIME to
install.  Cutting the dash for the deflectors was a
piece of cake after getting a template of the original
installation.  Space behind the dash is a problem for
big hands though, so be careful.  I think if I did it
again, I would use the trunk mount for the dondensor
that Rusty developed for Clark's.  More initial work,
but no heat from the engine to degrade the air over
the coils.

Thank you again Bill for you input.

Rob S.