[1969] AMT 1/25 69 Monza Coupe

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 22:24:38 EDT 2007

                                      B"H

If you've planned on buying AMT's re-issue of the 69
Monza, you probably shouldn't put off the purchase
indefinitely.

The latest word in the model car hobby is that ERTL is
stopping production of all model kits, including the
entire AMT line, and focusing on children's toys
instead.

There is no word as to whether the AMT division will
be sold, or just killed for good.

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to pick
this one up while it's still relatively cheap.  The
re-issue of this kit is decent, with good detail and
unlike some previous releases, has the red lenses for
the taillights.  Only negative is that it's molded in
that same yucky gray plastic as all AMT's kits, so
count on buying a can of your favorite spray paint as
well.

A couple of building tips for the Monza:  The wheel
backs are too wide for stock apperance, you will
probably want to cut them down a bit.  However don't
cut the metal axle because it's too short as it comes
in the kit; you should have enough room to poke a hole
with the front metal axle in the other end of the
wheel back without damaging the stock wheel covers.

The rear axle is chrome plated plastic and you slide
it through the transaxle, again I think the rear wheel
backs are too wide for stock so you'll have to trim
them a bit.

No whitewall tires are included, but I found that by
using a drafting compass, and some white latex
interior house paint, you can do a good job painting
them on.  Take a wheel center that you aren't going to
use to build the kit (e.g. the mags), install it on
the tire, and use the center of this wheel to position
the pointed end of the compass.  Then, adjust the
compass for the desired location of the whitewall on
the tire, as well as the width of the whitewall with
the blades end of the compass.  Make sure the tire is
smooth with no lettering where you'll draw the white
line, then use a small paintbrush to fill the space in
between the blades.  Wipe off excess paint off the
blades before beginning the drawing.  If you mess up,
just wash the tire off with soap and warm water, dry
thoroughly, and start again, it's as easy as that!
It's about the best way I've found to draw neat
whitewalls, unless you want to just buy the correct
whitewall tires from The Modelhaus (around $7. plus
shipping for a set).

Regards to all my fellow 69ers...Bill Hershkowitz
Brooklyn New York #5056 Monza coupe 110 PG