[1969] 42 years yesterday since the birth and little known lifeof ...

Mike Fiscus corvairmike at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 20:21:57 EDT 2011

I posted the attached on the Corvair Center Forum yesterday.....Corvair Center Goto Topic: Previous•NextGoto: Forum List•Message List•New Topic•Search•Log In•Print ViewSad day in Corvair historyPosted by: corvairmike ()Date: May 14, 2011 08:35AM
Just a reminder that today marks the 42 anniversary of the discontinuance of our favorite car! Drive your Corvair today!

Below is information from the '69 Corvair Group website

The last Corvair, an Olympic Gold Monza Coupe (# 6000), was in its overhead carrier and was pushed closer to the waiting newsmen The car in front (# 5999) was lowered to the floor, on its wheels for the first time. After receiving its ration of gasoline, this Lemans Blue Monza coupe quickly became as famous as # 6000 itself. 5999 wouldn’t start. A loud backfire, and then silence. Some sentimental workers and reporters felt the Corvair was stubbornly holding up the line, refusing to die.
With # 5999 now pushed out of the way, at 1:30 PM #6000 was easily started and driven a few feet ahead where the Olympic Gold Monza coupe stopped for photographs by the press. At 2:00 PM, # 6000 was driven out of the building, followed by the newsmen, and down a ramp onto the loading dock area. Nearby was a long string of tri-level railroad cars filled mostly with Novas and a few Corvairs. More photos were taken here by the press and plant personnel. And that was that, the Corvair production decade was over.

[www.youtube.com]
Attachments: