<CORSA Chapters> Club President help

Christy Miller christy at c2mp.biz
Wed Nov 30 15:22:14 EST 2005

Hi RJ,

Christy Miller here in from Corvairs Northwest in Seattle, Washington. My
best advice is to communicate, communicate and communicate. Regardless of
whether it's via a newsletter, email, meetings, or a phone tree, to get the
word out for every event, meeting, tech session, or road trip, on multiple
occasions. People's memories are short and attentions are limited so there
is no such thing as over-communication.

In any organization it is also important to build a strong board of
directors and/or committee chairs. Friends are great, but doers get the job
done. Keep them close to you with strong communication and lots of
appreciation.

In my experience, the next most important thing is to be highly organized.
Walk through every detail of the event or meeting knowing all of the topics
to be covered. Then prepare and do your research for each one. Of course you
don't want to go crazy with this, but I've put on hundreds of events
(Corvair and non-Corvair related) for anywhere from 8 to 2,500 people and
the more organized I am upfront; the more successful the event is every
time. No exception.

The other part about being organized is to have a contingency plan. Our club
hosted the regional econorun for 150 people out-of-area. We had a
contingency plan for everything since we were not native to the location.
This included one of our officers bringing his personal generator in the
event of power issues, and guess what? We had power issues! He saved the day
with his foresight and experience.

And my final piece is to continue doing exactly as you've done - ask for
help. Ask for tech articles and tech sessions from your membership and their
contacts. Ask for help in planning events. We have two tune-up days per year
and we encourage everyone to come and to assist each other. We also include
a communal lunch so everyone can talk, rest and get fortified. This is also
an excellent time to ask for more help.

Everyone else has said to relax and have fun which is excellent advice. Have
fun with your great adventure and don't hesitate to write.

Christy