<CORSA Chapters> Re: Conventions <tad long -- no really long >

Flat6Vair Flat6Vair at insightbb.com
Thu Apr 6 19:07:51 EDT 2006

jack,    please note,  i included the chapter list, and Pres Sarah and BOD member Rich Thompson.

It was a long day, and late for me <Illinois, early riser>  Tried to stay positive in my comments.  and ounced between your emails -- not a good thing when tired.  And I usually need to re-write whatever i write 2-3 times to get it to make sense.

In short,  I do tend to wander in my writing.

Contradictions?  haven't re-read what I wrote,  but yep, most likely.

Rich Thompson -- central division director,  not known for monitoring VV,  is the person who could probably best handle PR correspondence.  Marketing is part of his game.

Statistics - CORSA has 5,000 members,  600 attend when held east of the Mississippi <CORSA demographics, population is mostly eastern US,  plus California,  similiar to US population demographics>  CORSA average age is not known.  But we do know that the Large number of non-renewals are because of age <death, actually>   I have not gone to the library to do additional research, like I would when I did my economic research>
Local chapter meetings,  attnedance numbers are kept,  at the convention,  not.  But if you had attended any of the 3 "business" meetings,  you would have noted the small number of participants.  Not necessarily a bad thing -- too many on a committee means no action will get done.  too few, and the wrong action MAY get done.

I don't object to a "business session" at a convention could teach you and chapter officers about how to develop a strong local public relations program.  HECK,  that is a GREAT idea.  It may not be "tech" session for the masses,  but it would be a good session.  Could it be put on the agenda for 2008? 2007?     PR and Marketing session <get Rich Thompson involved> ?

The club is not large enough to have run-offs like the SCCA.  And that is OK.  Everyone wants to have a good time and most attendees are not chapter officers.   If only officers,  would be a small convention.

Editors now get together to share ideas.
Having the Chapter officer meeting be something MORE than a prelim to the CORSA "business" meeting would be could and eventually get its attendance up.  <it was held late in the day at Portland, and those still suffering from jet lag just had a hard time>

Locally,  our chapter has a good PR person who has tried diligently to get some press for the local Car show, club meetings etc.  Free press is hard to come by.  Need to but column space <local paper now charges to list anniversaries, weddings which were once free>

returning to your original posting.
CORSA purpose is the Preservation and Promotion of Corvairs  - part of our by-laws. The convention IS the the highlight and focal point of the year's activities for many members. <not all>   The business meetings do try to inform the membership about things that affect them -- the Communique is the other main resource for communications the same as the local newsletters are for the local chapters.

Workshops for Officers  and for PR/Marketing -- I like those ideas.  getting them scheduled and finding presenters is another topic.

The competition events are not so large to require pre-qualifications.  And some members busy with family, simply outperform others who otherwise would qualify (myself included, that is Mike Kost is busy with family and beats my behind in autocross and econo-run in a heartbeat)

The cost of attending, time and money,  will supercede the desire to attend.  Too many other interests in everyone's lives.  Plus many of us still must work and get limited time off.   God, Family,  work  then hobbies.

A side issue mentioned by Lon, is Sales tax collection.   This will discourage mail-order vendors from vending on-site -- lots of paperwork, lots of hassle.  Mail order houses, for the most part,  do not have to collect "use" (AKA Sales)  taxes.  The buyer is supposed to report those purchases on form xyz.  Vendors at the convention usually is a draw -- we all like to see what we are buying, and like the instant gratification of having it hand when we pay for it.  < the internet will not replace the department store entirely, at least not in the near future>

I feel like i'm taking just part of your message and emphasing it,  but the PR/Marketing  (plus better business meetings) seems to be the focus of your post .  Business meetings are hard to make better.   Adding a PR session may be good.  Especially if it helps get the word out to the baby boomers about CORSA <my focus is the 40-60 year old crowd>  and the under 40 and under 30 crowd.

At least,  that is a good place to start the discussion and keep it focused so something happens.  I may repost to the chapter list that last part -- PR/Marketing.  a little later  just to help get Q/A started on that specific topic.

tim mahler
Central Div Bod member
Local chapter President
local chapter editor