<CORSA Chapters> YorkUS30 Drag Reunion - Corvair Funny Car

JOSEPH DARINSIG joedarinsig at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 20:25:47 EDT 2006

 Joe Darinsig
 Central Pa. Corvair Club
 Chapter # 170

  I have been trying to forward a Press Release for
the 5th. Annual York US30 Dragway Reunion & Musclecar
Madness Show. It will be held on July 7-8, 2006 at the
York Expo Center (Fairgrounds); York, Pa.
 I received a few emails saying that my information
was in an Attachment, and that it wouldn't work....
What the "hot news" is: making it's show debut will be
the "SEATON SHAKER" original all steel body Funny Car
which is recently restored. Matt Murphy from Atlanta,
Ga. is the owner and will also have two others car
there. The Dick Harrell/Jim Kirby 1968 Camaro Funny
Car and the recent restoration of the Dick
Aarons/Gordy Foust 1969 Camaro.
 The "Seaton Shaker" was built in the early stages of
the hot Funny Car wars in 1965-66. It competed around
the country with other familiar Corvair Funny Cars
like Malcolm Durham's "Strip Blazer" pink Corvair,
Hayden Proffitt's coupe and roadster Corvairs, Tom
Sturm's Corvair, Doug Thorely - "Doug's Headers"
Corvair, Pisana Brothers Corvair. Many other Corvairs
raced all over the country.
 Here is your chance to see this fabulous piece of
Corvair "race history." Big Daddy Don Garlits will
also be featured with his original "Swamp Rat IV"
dragster. Don has a 1969 Corvair Monza convertible in
his Museum in Ocala, Florida. You can talk with him,
get autographs, photos; as well as many other Drag
Racing stars/drivers all weekend. The show starts on
Friday (July 7) from 1-9 PM, Saturday (July 8) from 10
AM - 9 PM. There are over 150 one of a king vehicles
in two (Air Cond.) buildings, and a gigantic outside
Cruise In Show. There are over 500+ vehicles and 100+
Corvettes (York County Corvette Club) displayed.
 Check the YorkUS 30 website at www.yorkus30.com.
There is a Photo Gallery of some of the cars entered
in the inside show (sorry, no photo of the Seaton
Shaker Corvair yet...). For any show information
contact me at joedarinsig at yahoo.com; Or Darwin Doll at
info at yorkus30.com.
 This is a show well worth the visit. A few others
attending are Bill Jenkins, Jungle Pam (Jungle Jim
Funny Car fame), Bruce Larson, Bud Faubel. I almost
forgot Gene Altizer who is there every year, he bought
the "Strib Blazer IV" pink Corvair Funny Car from
Malcolm Durham when he went to the Camaro body. We
talked each year about the car, quite a few
interesting stories and history comes alive this
weekend. Yenko Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, COPO
Camaros, Nickey cars, Motion cars - all this in one
weekend.

 Joe Darinsig