<CORSA Chapters> Compact Car show -- 2009 -- FYI

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Sat Sep 15 09:48:26 EDT 2007

    Had a conversation with Bill Adams,  president of Comet East car club.
He is trying to put on a car show/weekend event to celebrate the 50th
anniversary of the introduction of the compact cars -- Falcon, Valian,
Coment and, of course, Corvair.  (technical note,  he was referring to it as
the 50th anniversary of the cars,  but I and others consider Corvairs to be
50 based on the model year not introduction date which is 2010)
    anyhow,  the current plans are to hold a Car show at the rock and roll
hall of fame in Cleveland Ohio sometime in August of 2009.   Larry Claypool
suggested they might want to consider doing an Econo-run -- after all that
was what the cars were about at the time of their introduction.

    This should be a good all around promotion for all compacts -- a good
showing would be nice;  I hope the great lakes clubs will be able to make a
memoriable showing.  There are some great looking cars in the region
including some nice 60s; I may even need to drive over with one of my
Corvairs.

    A local chapter getting involved with this show would be beneficial,  to
Bill Adams and to the rest of us.  If you or your chapter could help,
please let me know,  or if you want, contact Bill Adams directly at
President at cometeastcarclub.org

    At this stage,  it is mostly planning.  Bill has contacting the Rock and
roll hall of fame,  and has been in contact with the visitors bureau and
other car clubs.   Of course,  he is asked how many cars will attend,  his
response is just shy of a shrug on that one.
I did try to encourage a October 2 weekend date (the first weekend of Oct
2009 starts w/friday the 2nd GGG)  but football season seems to be a
barrier.

 tim mahler