<CORSA Chapters> Enforced CORSA membership

King,Bob,Allentown,Purchasing Bob.King at purina.nestle.com
Fri Feb 15 08:15:41 EST 2008

I haven't addressed this group for some time and wanted to speak for the Chapter 190,  Phila. Corvair Association.

We filled out about 15 survey sheets and turned them in a week ago. We had 4 members at the meeting that have been in Corsa since before 1973 about 15 total at the meeting. We have a couple others not at the February meeting that have been in Corsa pretty much since its inception.
We have never required Corsa membership, we would have lost a good % of our membership had we. We have maintained over 50 members consistently.
The surveys will speak for themselves but I noticed almost everyone voted no to requiring Corsa membership and 90% of the voters were Corsa members.
We don't see a need for Corsa handling our membership renewals. Its not been a big issue for us.
We renew chapter membership every year in February with March starting the new year. We found January a bad month to collect with everyone's minds having been focused on the holidays and our January meeting is our party where club business is discouraged.
We had two members that had been Corsa members for a long time they recently did not renew. They did respond with survey expressing general dissatisfaction with the Communiqué. (note not the general consensus, just these two !). Like I read else ware these types of members just like being part "physically" group. Getting together and talking in person. Going out to restaurants and meeting, some don't even have a Corvair in fact there are at least two members I can think of that haven't had a Corvair in over 10 years and one comes to almost every meeting! We have members that just like getting the newsletter and a networking connection when their car breaks down (probably the #1 reason for local membership).  Then we have a member that's been to all but the first couple Corsa conventions including our 1976 convention.
Most of our members do not go to the conventions. There is the core group of us that's in it 100% and attend everything we can within driving distance.  We run events at mini conventions, Corsa Conventions, and support other local chapter events religiously. What we see is there are some that have more passion than others and you start forcing rules and regulations on the Chapters and it will negatively affect us, especially the amount of members we have. Just my personal and the other core supporting officers opinion here. This group is basically happy with Corsa and everything they are doing at present.

Bob King Pres. PCA