<CORSA Chapters> CORSA Insurance

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Feb 17 18:21:01 EST 2008

The thread on CORSA membership has been interesting. I think it started
when someone asked about having CORSA collect chapter dues, then took
on a life of its own. The number of posts proves that this is a topic
full of controversy and interest.

One thing that comes up again and again when the value of CORSA is
discussed is insurance, and rightly so, as the CORSA insurance policy
is of great value to chapters and members. Nevertheless, I think there
is a lot of misunderstanding about this coverage. Some seem to think
that every CORSA member is automatically covered whenever they are
participating in any chapter event or even attending a dinner meeting.

My experience with the policy is that we always fill out a form for
coverage and get a certificate for our annual autocross. My
understanding is that unless you actually have a certificate, you don't
have insurance, that is, it is not automatic.

Even with the certificate, there is misunderstanding. Some think you're
only covered if you're a CORSA member. My understanding is that anyone
at the event or the listed insureds are covered.

Our chapter is in the process of changing our membership requirements.
For ten years we have required CORSA membership of everyone who had
been in our club for a year or more. If the current proposal passes,
this requirement will be dropped. Then, anyone not belonging to CORSA
will pay an additional fee which will be sent to CORSA for their
support. One of our members, who was in favor of the CORSA membership
requirement, told me he thought that a big reason to require CORSA
membership was so that all our members were covered.

I do know, that we used to pay $100 for coverage at an autocross. Now
it's free for the standard million-dollar coverage. Two-million-dollars
of coverage, which is being required at some venues, isn't free. I
think it's $100 (Two-million is the new one-million).

Maybe this has been covered in the Communique, but I don't remember it.
I'd like an officer to explain exactly what the coverage is. This would
seem to make a good Communique article.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, CORSA South Carolina