<CORSA Chapters> 100% CORSA Membership

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Dec 15 09:09:30 EST 2009

Whenever this issue comes up, people address it by asking and answering the
wrong question.  They ask, "What is the benefit of the INDIVIDUAL to be a
member of CORSA?", when what they should be asking is "What is the benefit
of the CHAPTER to be a member of CORSA?"

Simply put, if there IS a benefit to the chapter to be a member of CORSA
then that benefit applies downward to all of the chapter members to some
extent, and therefore CORSA membership should be required of all CORSA
chapter members.

Conversely, if a chapter feels it gains NO benefit from being a member of
CORSA then it should, of course, drop its CORSA membership and not require
the same of CORSA.  Nothing would preclude individuals within that chapter
from joining CORSA as free agents, but their local club would not have any
CORSA benefits, including insurance.

Therefore, the only question CORSA should be asking is why it grants Chapter
membership to chapters which feel they do not get benefit from CORSA.

Speaking as a member of Tidewater Corvair Club (which DOES require 100%
CORSA membership), I do believe that our chapter perceives benefit from
being a CORSA chapter and that is why we require our members to belong to
CORSA as well.  While I can probably count on one hand the number of TCC
members who have attended a CORSA convention in the past 5 years, most of us
have attended local events covered by CORSA insurance and we ALL were
involved in a recent car raffle that was very successful due to publicity in
the Communiqué.  I could list several other benefits (as I have in the
past), but the bottom line is that we have a strong club that is 100% CORSA
and I have heard no complaints about this.

I wonder if the clubs that say they do not want to require 100% CORSA
membership would be willing to give up having their club names, news and
publicity of club events included in the Communiqué?  I wonder if they would
ALL be willing to purchase their own insurance whenever they attend or host
local events (such as the DACC Homecoming)?  I wonder if their members who
DO attend CORSA conventions would be happy to attend as Free Agents and not
as representatives of their local chapters which do not perceive a value to
CORSA membership?  Gee, imagine the "roll call" at the annual banquet and
there is no DACC, CCE, etc.

Bill Hubbell