<CORSA Chapters> Membership question -- 100% vs Not. Chapter level

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Dec 17 11:34:37 EST 2009

This comes up every so often, let me cover some history:

  - VV was started back in 1990 as a list of addresses passed around
by the members.  It was viewed as a pretty strange (stupid) idea, this
e-mail thing.
  - I made it a single address on a Unix host in '91, and it moved
around with me for a while at Mitre.  Cost to CORSA?  That would be
zero.
  - We made VV a CORSA Chapter, still viewed as a dumb idea by a lot
of CORSA folks, partially to avoid fragmentation, and partially so we
could ask for a meeting place at the Convention.
  - When I left Mitre in '98, 3 *years* of donations were collected to
cover hosting the list and it was converted to a committee since it
didn't fit the chapter model very well.  At that time, part of the
process was an agreement that VV would remain free to any subscriber.
  - In the meantime, VV served as a recruitment tool for CORSA.
  - Through some discussions, the idea of an ISP tailored to CORSA
needs came up, so we set that up.  As a side project, we moved VV over
to the same host.
  - Three years ago, it was time to upgrade the hardware.  VV donated
money to cover it.

To say that somehow VV is taking something away from CORSA is flat
wrong, in fact the opposite is true.  Beyond that, setting up a
mailing list or web forum is such a trivial thing (consider the latest
example forum if you don't believe me) that making it CORSA only would
serve mostly to fragment the community.

A much better idea would be online member only CORSA web resources.
Sort of the equivalent to Larry Claypool's answer of "it's in the Tech
Guide".

--Bryan