<CORSA Chapters> 2009 Pacific Northwest Econorun

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 20:58:16 EST 2009

The Inland Northwest Corvair club is sponsoring the 2009 Northwest Econorun
to be held June 12-14th in Coeur d'Alene Idaho.

The event will be held in conjunction with the "Car D'Alene" Car show that's
held on June 12th and 13t.
http://www.cdadowntown.com/index_cardlane.asp?pageid=1498

Coeur d'Alene is located 30 miles from Spokane Washington and 80 miles from
the Canadian border and it's a recreation mecca in the Northwest.
http://www.coeurdalene.org/

The event organizer (me) has secured a shaded parking lot on the cruise
route for an exclusive Corvair-club catered party that will be right in the
middle of the action on cruise night. We will also have exclusive entry/exit
privileges to the cruise where others are metered in and out through a long
waiting line. The cruise is a closed loop in our historic downtown; the
streets will be lined with cheering spectators in lawn chairs and will run
from about 6p to 9 or 10p on Friday night. The oldies radio station
broadcasts live, featuring oldies car tunes and their broadcast is heard
throughout the cruise area and on everyone's AM car radios.

Saturday the 13th brings us to the main event where we will have two blocks
reserved in the Car d'Alene car show (usually 500-700 cars) with an evening
affair to follow. We have a few non-traditional ideas for Saturday evening -
like an outdoor Western BBQ rather than a rubber-chicken banquet. That part
is still a bit up in the air but that's our direction.

Sunday we will cruise about 50 minutes up scenic Highway 95 to the "Bird
Museum of Aviation and Invention" http://www.birdaviationmuseum.com/ where
we tour the museum and have lunch.  Forest Bird is the world's oldest
licensed helicopter pilot (93) and he built this museum to inspire
youngsters to the prospect of becoming an inventors.  Dr. Bird invented the
medical respirator patterned after the regulator in his WWII fighter pilot
flight suit. The respirator replaced the iron lung and his device is in use
worldwide; a fascinating man.

We have a host hotel of course Templins Red Lion
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-375058-red_lion_templins_on_the_river-i and
there are many ways for families to have fun (Silverwood Theme Park for
example http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/ ) before or after the Econorun.
We have negotiated special room rates too (yeah!)

Join us for a great time!

Craig Nicol

Inland Northwest Corvair Club

Mark your calendars, Northwest people, for Friday June 12th. Saturday June
13th and Sunday June 14th.

More information will be forthcoming.  We do not have a registration packet
at this time, though we have blocked rooms at Templin's Red Lion Inn in
nearby Post Falls. Special room rates apply and are available before and
after the event.