<CORSA Chapters> Comments Concerns - Student Membership policy

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Oct 30 10:21:17 EDT 2009

Maybe you should mail them just the Convention issue and e-mail them
all the other issues.

By mailing the convention issue, they'd get to see a real, paper
Communique, with all the pretty pictures. They all have e-mail
addresses and are used to reading on-line news sites, etc., so they
should be happy with the e-mailed Communiques.

On Oct 30, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Vairtec at optonline.net wrote:

> I cannot say that this proposal has captivated my imagination.
>
> Many organizations offer "junior" memberships, which are generally
> limited to persons under the upper age range of this proposal.  I can
> understand the reasons for terming it a "student" membership -- what
> young person wants to be labeled as "junior" -- but I am surprised to
> find it encompassing persons older than age 18.
>
> Personally, I think that such a membership should be limited to
> persons under age 18, but making the assumption that it is students
> we wish to target, not just younger people, how 'bout we define
> eligibility based on student status instead of age?  How 'bout
> defining student as those younger than age 18, enrolled in primary or
> secondary schools (elementary, middle, and high school), and those
> age above age 18 enrolled full-time in two-year or four-year
> undergraduate colleges.  No grad students, no doctoral candidates,
> but some flexibility on age.
>
> Next, I am really perplexed by the notion of providing with this
> membership every-other issue of the Communique.  That's like getting
> a student ticket to a show but you have to leave at intermission.  If
> the object is, as stated, "to employ a strategy to acquire a deeper
> membership base for the future - but also provide a mechanism to
> allow the mentorship of grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles,
> brother & sisters, guardians etc.," then it should not and cannot be
> a "half" membership.  Half-price, sure -- that's what student
> discounts are all about -- but not half of the product.
>
> Obviously, this every-other issue scheme is intended to save costs,
> but it defeats the purpose of the program.  If you want to save costs
> on student membership, develop a real way of delivering Communique
> content electronically and do that for student memberships.
>
> But in sum, I don't like it.  It is deck-chair re-arranging.  Yes, I
> think that we ought to develop some kind of junior membership for
> minors, but what we have to offers to those juniors at present is a
> pretty stale organization.  And, to judge by this proposal, half of a
> pretty stale organization.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman