<CORSA Chapters> Corsa Corner -- Mahler

tim mahler flat6vair at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 06:31:57 EDT 2010

I forget which list has which rules (am on a dozen or so)
 corsa column imbedded to make life easier  (it is wordy,  seems to be my
nature when writing)

CORSA Corner
I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere this year's car display provided. I
was able to walk about and talk to the various Corvair enthusiasts. A big
plus for me, as an undercarriage Concours judge, because I was able to see
more than the undersides of all the wonderful Corvairs. I also did not need
to worry about tending to the CORSA merchandise table; nor tallying scores
or other preparations for the Banquet. Conventions need more fun days like
this.

The Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts (ICE) did a wonderful job hosting the
convention. ICE received help from Corvair Minnesota and other groups which
always helps. The more help you have, the less work each person has to do.

CORSA does need a host chapter for the 2013 convention, preferably a central
division chapter; and for the 2014 convention, in the western division.
Larry Claypool has the basic information. Bob Dunahugh has in the past
volunteered to provide insights into what it takes to plan and host a CORSA
Convention. Bob stated for months how easy it was, Bob pre-plans very well.
But be warned, even Bob found that the last minute details can over burden
the best of us. Delegation is the key - the more help, the less work per
person applies to the Convention chair as well as all the workers.

Hosting a convention is a great experience, I encourage every chapter to
give it some consideration. Don't forget to contact your local Tourism and
Visitor's Bureau. Those agencies are eager to help with hotels, tours,
parking, shuttle service and a host of other services. It is something they
do to attract conventions like CORSA's. Talk to Bob Dunahugh, Larry Claypool
or myself and see what the possibilities are.

There is some controversy over how much control CORSA exerts in the
convention planning. It is less than most perceive it to be, yet at the same
time more than many would like. CORSA main goal is to provide some
consistency for the members. The members have come to expect certain things
at a convention, some are even in the by-laws, such as Concours. Yet, CORSA
also strongly encourages diversity for each convention. This usually comes
in the form of tours, tech sessions and rally routes. There are other ways
to distinguish each convention, for Iowa, it may well be the relaxing,
carefree last day that defines, for better or worse, their convention.

CORSA does incur expenses for each convention and CORSA is responsible for
any convention loss. This means CORSA tends to be conservative with the
convention numbers, lower revenue and higher expense expectations than most
host chapters would expect. If the numbers are better, great. CORSA also
brings close to 40 years of convention experience to the table. CORSA has
found that certain things do not work well while also being cognizant of the
fact that some things need to be tried anew as time and people change.

The conventions in Denver in 2011 and Massachusetts in 2012 should be great.
Both are offering some variations to the standard convention format while
still providing members with the core features. Denver is a great tourist
location and the host chapter has a great group of people that will surely
make the 2012 convention another memorable convention. I'm already looking
forward to both conventions, my excuse to go visit those regions. Could your
town be next?