<CORSA Chapters> concours classes

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 09:26:19 EDT 2011

All,

I've been trying to get the CORSA board to recend their ill-conceived name change in concours that renames one class "improved", which some of the membership, myself included, feel is offensive.

It is offensive because it implies that the Corvair in stock form is somehow defective, and requires changes from stock in order to make it acceptable. When I wrote the original rules back in '74, this name, among others, was kicked about and discarded, and for those very reasons. The names that have been in use for close to four decades have proven themselves to be satisfactory to everyone. So there is no reason for changing them, let alone to something that is proving to be offensive to a select percentage of the membership.

Both the CORSA board and its president, Jamie Reinhart, have shown no interest in correcting their error. In fact, Jamie has requested that we will have to submit a petition, signed by at least 10 members, and submitted to the concours chairman, just in order for our request to even be considered. I am therefore asking those who feel as I do to drop me a PRIVATE EMAIL to that effect, so that I can add your name to the list. The petition has already gathered the support of myself, Bill Hubbell, Kent Sullivan, and Bob Dunahugh.

For sake of information, I feel that a petition SHOULD by rights be unnecessary. But that is how insensitive the board is to this problem, or for that matter, to non-vocal, small numbers of members. It is a problem that will NEVER go away until this short-sighted error is reversed. I even offered Jamie two other ways out. One is for the board to simply recend their approval, and revert to the previously used (and time-proven) class names. The other is to simply eliminate ALL classes, except those required by the Preservation Award, as provided in the concours rules, since the current "gold-silver-bronze" award system makes classification obsolete. But he demands that we submit a petition. Hence the absolute NEED for your positive show of support. You need not have any interest in concours, but need only to express your support for this principle.

Thank you all!

-Mark Corbin
airvair@ earthlink.net

P.S. Please feel free to repost this to any other list, as I'm not on all of them.