<CORSA Chapters> hotel reservations

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 20 13:56:05 EST 2012

Harry, Seth, Bob, Jim, and all,

I think some are missing my point. DETAILS! Sometimes the "official" start
is scheduled such that one thinks you should arrive the night before. But
when the details of just *what* starts when, you find that it's not
necessary for you to arrive that soon, but can arrive mid-morning the day
of the start day, or maybe later, thus saving ONE night's unnecessary stay.
Same at the end of the convention. And this goes double for those who
cannot take in ALL the convention, for various reasons, and have to plan on
arriving late or leaving early. You have to look at it thru others' eyes.

As for the host room situation, I realize the club "obligation", so that is
something I'll begrudgingly forgive the club for doing. (But here's a hint:
a street address for the host hotel would be a good start.) But that said,
if Mapquest is so easy, why not post the details yourself as soon as
possible?  (Thanks to somebody for doing so THIS year!) Then too, info like
"is it within walking distance?" would be nice to have for the alternate
hotels. It's something that isn't covered in Mapquest.

As for cancelling/changing plans, that can sometimes be a hassle. Just room
reservations alone aren't always the only thing involved. People's work
schedules, drive times, and other mitigating personal circumstances often
figure into it as well. It's why some have to arrive late or leave early.
Everybody is different.

I realize setting schedules is difficult. But even a tentative, but fleshed
out, schedule would help, even if some things would later have to be
changed. At least that would be more understandable than *no* information.

Pardon me if I like to have as much advance notice as possible, for
personal reasons. Just sorry such above-mentioned details are invisible to
you.

-Mark

CORSA BoD <corsabod at corvair.org>
> Date: 2/20/2012 1:05:20 PM
> Subject: Re: <CORSA Chapters> hotel reservations
>
> I realize that the schedule information posted here
>
> http://www.corvair.org/chapters/necc/convention/itinerary.htm
>
> is only an overview and lacks specific details, but it has been there
> for a couple of months now and is referenced both on the CORSA home page
> and in the Communique.  As Harry Jensen noted there is a lot to be
> coordinated and confirmed before a detailed schedule can be released.
>
> As for providing information on alternate hotels, it is the
> organization's obligation to fill the host hotel first, because our use
> of meeting rooms and related facilities is tied to sleeping room
> bookings.  We posted a list of alternatives quite literally the day that
> the host hotel sold its last room, so I think we've been pretty
> responsible to all concerned.
>
> Glad you found a room at a favorable price.  Thank you for your interest
> in the 2012 CORSA Convention.
>

> On 2/20/2012 12:20 PM, Mark Corbin wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > One thing that perenially burns my buscuits concerns the CORSA
convention. ALWAYS it seems that they NEVER get enough details for the
convention schedule out before the host hotel information is available. So
it's ALWAYS a race to see if I can still get a hotel room at the host hotel
in time by the time I KNOW when to arrive and leave.

> > Face it, guys. The membership NEEDS to know the convention activities
schedule BEFORE deciding on when to make the room reservations. Otherwise,
a lot of horse trading and jumping thru hoops (like double booking rooms,
which can hog the host hotel room reservation availibility) ends up as a
result. We also need to know what alternate hotels are available, and how
far from the host hotel they are (within walking distance?) as well. (Also,
their room rates would be appreciated as well.)

> > Why can't CORSA EVER get their act together on this? ALL this
information should be coordinated BEFORE it's released, so that WE the
membership don't get this annual heartburn.

> > -Mark Corbin
> >
> > P.S. FWIW, this year, I (just today) picked up room reservations at the
Motel 6 for almost HALF the host hotel rate, and found that Super 8 is
about $30 MORE than the host hotel. But my above complaint still stands.