<CORSA Chapters> Concours Classication, preservation award, SCG

flat6vair at comcast.net flat6vair at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 15:56:51 EDT 2015

Been reading all the notes on this topic and had talked to Mr. Hubbell at the convention on the topic.

Classification and Concours rules have changed in the last 5 years or so.....Many classifications were eliminated including specialty (my Sprints at the time) included.
Factory Stock (original, restored) and street Stock were retained because that is a goal for many enthusiasts -- to be classified as Stock is tough.
Being stock is also the only classification eligible for the preservation award -- the highest Concours score for a Factory Stock Corvair. hmmm.

Problems -- few original stock Corvairs remain......the Nebr. Car had several changes besides the tires -- making it closer to street stock than factory stock but still a VERY NEAT car (i had the honor of judging the undercarriage. )
Efforts by the Stock Corvair Group to do stock evaluations for history notation (gathering information for all of us) and owner feedback is limited in time and at times location is a problem.
An original unrestored Corvair, aka the nebr car, can't compete effectively in a beauty contest.
Concours judges are not expert enough (At least I am not) to properly deduct points for non-stock items -- IF that were part of the process. Its not. or we may never get done some days.

Possible solutions. -- others have already noted on VV -- but i dont think this is a VV item. Its a CORSA item

1) eliminate all classification from Concours -- can still group by Seniors/non Senior and Body style.
2) Have Preservation Award be a separate evaluation process -- and possible new separate registration item -- register for Concours, Preservation Award, and/or both.
3) Allow a small group of experts (3-4) to do the evaluations at the same time as the Concours judging is being done. -- Known location, cars are present, costs a few (very good) Concours judges.

This may help the SCG meet one of its goals of Stock evaluation certifications. (sorry Bill, being lazy about looking up the correct term)

Seeking feed back (to me or the chapter list) on the above 3 items. If enough support, I am willing to present it (formally) to the Concours committee
May even suggest that 2016 could be used to test the waters for the above. (including inviting the Nebr car back again, this time with a spot marked out proper. the intent was to have a spot this year, but communications got tripped up. happens unfortunately)

Tim Mahler
PCCA editor,
2016 Co-chair