<CORSA Chapters> Updates - 2019 Tri-State Corvair Gathering in Alamosa, CO May 17-19

halpinem at comcast.net halpinem at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 15:33:51 EDT 2019

Hello Fellow Corvair Lovers!

Many of you have asked for updates on this year's Tri-State Corvair Meet in Alamosa, CO, being presented by the Pikes Peak Corvair Club out of Colorado Springs.  Ask and ye shall receive:

Please see all attachments to this note, and visit the Facebook event page @  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2045448495501301  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2045448495501301/ for the latest updates:

Host Hotel Info:

* Best Western Alamosa, 2005 Main Street Alamosa, CO  81101
* Reservations: 719-589-2567
* Group Code: Mention “Corvair” for $110.99 per night special rate, which includes Breakfast
* Hotel is pet friendly

As of today (March 19th) just two rooms remain out of the initial 40 rooms we've blocked off for this event.  While there may be rooms available 'later', once our "Corvair Group" block is gone, the price will be higher, so don't wait any longer to get your reservation in! Other accommodations can be made at several other local area hotels, but all of the fun will be at the host hotel!  If you want to add days before or after our 'blocked days', I have negotiated with the hotel to extend the same discounted price as Fri/Sat ($110.99)

Note:  While you may find a lower nightly rate right now through one of the third party sites (Experian, hotels.com, etc.) remember, if you book through them, you agree to abide by their rules, for example, if you have to cancel your reservation, you may not get any of your money back, depending on their policy.  The host hotel will not honor any refunds of monies paid to third party reservations sites.  Please feel free to go that route, however, Buyer Beware!

Trailer Parking:  The Best Western does have a large parking lot and space for trailers on the east end of the lot, next to the KFC.  As always, make sure you secure your vehicles and have tongue locks, if not attached to your truck!

Mail-In Pre-Registration:  (Registration Form is attached in pdf)  Participants are encouraged to register sooner than later, as the deadline for both t-shirt orders and banquet meal reservations is 3 May.

Event T-Shirts For Sale:  Event t-shirt options are listed on the Registration Form, and a picture of each style offered is attached.  This year, we're not only offering a regular black, short-sleeved, crew-neck T, but also a pink, short-sleeved, V-Neck T for the ladies.  Now, if enough of the guys order the pink Ts, we may just have to have a contest to see who wears it best :) .

On-Site Registration/Welcome Party:  Registration will be held at the host hotel from 2-7pm Friday afternoon (and again 8-9am Saturday morning), in the lobby area, just off the entrance.  This is where you will check in, pick up your goody bag, get your event t-shirts, your banquet tickets, and receive a schedule of events.  Outside in the parking lot, from 6-9pm we will host a Welcome Party with free snacks & soft drinks, a Fan Belt Toss competition, and an opportunity for folks to sit, relax and get acquainted (again).

Show & Shine Car Show:   To be held at Cole Park on the east side of town, Saturday morning from 9am - 1pm.  Located on the banks of the Rio Grande River, the park sits just to the right as you drive west into Alamosa from the east, off of hwy 160.  This diverse display of Corvair powered vehicles is free and open to the public, with awards for "Best in Class" and "People's Choice" presented later that evening during the awards banquet.

Banquet and Awards Presentation:  On Saturday evening at 6pm, plan to join us for dinner at the local Elks Lodge in Alamosa, as we wrap up the weekend fun.  Good food, good friends, and good conversation, and, you might even pick up an award to take home.  The planned menu for this year's event is:  a choice of Herb Chicken or Roast Beef w/au jus, Seasonal Mixed Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, and yellow squash), Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary, Dinner Rolls, your choice of Iced Tea or Lemonade, and Dessert cake.  If you're in need of a gluten free or vegetarian option, please check the appropriate box on the Registration Form before you mail it in.  We want to make sure everybody who wants to eat, gets to eat, so please pay attention to that May 3rd Registration deadline, and get that form sent in early.

Saturday Tour Opportunities: Looking for something to do between the Show & Shine and the Banquet?  Check out just a couple of the options which the Alamosa area has to offer:

* Cruise to Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve:  Saturday, 1pm - 4:30pm. Located just 35 miles east of Alamosa, this 30 minute organized cruise to the Great Sand Dunes should be a pleasant & beautiful drive in your Corvair.  There you will find the tallest dunes in North America, which are the centerpiece in a diverse landscape of grasslands, wetlands, conifer and aspen forests, alpine lakes, and tundra.  Parking is sometimes a challenge, but it's early in the tourist season, so we should be able to park all of the Corvairs together.  There are handicapped parking spots closer in, for those who may need them.  Entrance to the Park is $20 per car, so pack as many folks in your Corvair and make it a Road Trip!  Departure time from the Host Hotel parking lot to be announced closer to the event.  Check out their website before you visit, @ https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm
* Colorado Gators Reptile Park is located 17 miles north of Alamosa, in the town of Mosca, Colorado. It started as a tilapia farm in 1977, and now includes a bird sanctuary, reptile rescue, education display, and even a BioDome.  The "Two Mile Creek Wildlife Habitat" allow visitors to view alligators, reptiles, and birds in a natural setting.  If a bird watching is your thing, more than 125 species of birds have been sighted at the farm.  Fishing, boating, and picnicking opportunities are also available.  Entrance fees are $10 for kids ages 6–15, $20 for kids 16–64, $10 for seniors ages 65–79, and if you're lucky enough to be 80 or over, it's FREE!   For more info on this excursion, check out:   http://www.coloradogators.com

More info to follow as we get closer to the event.  Hope to see you all in Alamosa in May!!

Please feel free to forward this note out to other Corvair groups in the Western Region and beyond.  We'd love to see a 100 Corvairs at this year's event, so get the word out!

Thanks,

Ed Halpin

2019 Tri-State Event Chair