[FC] 2 accelerator springs?

Fri Apr 4 12:27:00 2003

Ken,
quick followup if you dont mind, i dont think i have this right, you said "put a heavy one up front on the bellcrank to
the body. "

not sure what the bellcrank is, can you be more specific as to where this attaches, have experimented with using at the adjusting swivel above the top shroud, and connecting to alternator or same point as back spring (accelerator lever on side of carb?)connected to alternator, this is improvement, however if i get the pedal as soft and smooth as i want, it doesnt fully return to idle position.

cable is good and moves freely, also, can disconnect cable and idles correctly

also checked old corvanantics, tech guide, clarks catalog, and service guide, still cant get it right

i really appreciate your insight and support via fc email list, its really helpful for us rookies trying to keep them on the road

thanks
keith graham
'64 brier
'63 monza vert

In a message dated 3/26/2003 12:14:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Woohey@aol.com writes:

> I was reading old Corvanantics article last nite @1993?, and read an article
> discussing accelerator pedal adjustments and mentioning there are 2
> springs,
>
> I checked Clarks catalog this morning and dont see where this 2nd spring
> would attach, is anyone familiar with 2 springs and where the other would
> be located?
>
> I would like to improve pedal, as it is very hard at initial acceleration

  The way it is supposed to be is you have a very light spring in the rear
on the throttle shaft and you put a heavy one up front on the bellcrank to
the body. This will give you a very firm but smooth feel, as long as the
cable is in OK condition.
  What most people do is put a spring back at the engine and it won't return
the throttle to idle, so they put a heavier spring back there and now it is
very hard to push the gas pedal down. They try lube and all sorts of wonder
ideas, but the real trick is a light spring in the rear and a heavier spring
up front.
  Ken Hand