[FC] Greenbrier happenings

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Apr 8 22:32:00 2003

Hi all,

Just thought I'd chronicle what's been up with our Greenbrier.  Over
the winter I decided to take care of some matters in the engine.  This
van was put together in the mid 80s, and pretty much all of the gaskets
are toast, so I've been replacing the biggest leaker, then the next,
etc.  Over the winter I had on the agenda replacing the fan bearing,
and since the top cover leaked I ordered a complete ready to go cover
from Lon, along with some other odds and ends.

After getting started, I saw an ad from Larry Shapiro on e-bay for
powder coated fans, and he quoted me such a good price to do mine that
I had him do both it and the air filter tops.  I also decided to remove
the electric pump that was in series with the stock pump, if I want to
go electric it'll be a conversion rather than a booster.  You may
recall that I've been fighting a hesitation for some time, so I
wondered if there were some issues with vacuum leaks.  Ideally, I would
get it all done by the time our Little League team's pre-season
practices.

Well, I didn't make the deadline, but I did finally get it together to
take it to the first in-season practice on Sunday following our
Saturday opener, then over to the game fields for the kids to play in a
pick up game.  The engine looks a good bit better and my first
impression is that the hesitation is much improved.

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa