[FC] 62 Rare 8 Door Corvan For Sale

Thu Apr 17 11:31:01 2003

I hate to do this, but it looks like we're moving and my wife would really
prefer that my van doesn't accompany us. What makes it "rare," I know this
term is over-used, is other thn being an 8-door it has the roll down window
option in all four barn doors; not many Corvans came with this particular
option.
The van has 92K original miles. I have the documented milage from the 2nd
owner who had it from 1966 when he bought it with 24K miles from the Gas
Company in Santa Barbara, California until he garaged it in 1978 in
Whittier,CA where I also live. Every time he stopped for gas he recorded the
milage, how many gallons he put in the tank, and his mpg. He had the heads
redone at 57,000 miles (receipt available) plus there are other receipts
available for minor repairs and tires along the way.
I drove the van home (5 miles) after purchasing it 2 years ago; it needed
brakes and it hesitated as I stepped on the gas. It went into my garage and I
would start it after having to pump the pedal numerous times. That method
quit working and the last time I tried to run the engine I had to pour the
gas directly into the carbs. It could be a problem with the carbs or fuel
pump.
It's a powerglide and a late 62 production model assembled in the St.Louis
plant. The body has some dings and light dents from service, but no major
body work needs to be done. There is surface rust, particularly along the
roof line, but no rust through on any part of the van exists. It's white with
a blue stripe.
The previous owner used the van as a camper and a cabinet has been added,
plus there is utility shelving along the back walls of the interior. He also
added a vent to the top as well as mounting points that extend the entire
length of the roof for a heavy duty rack. The previous owner has it the last
time I spoke to him, he would only turn it over to me if I put the van back
on the road, which I have not been able to do.
The van has the original CA black plates (last registered in 1979) and also
includes the original jack. Fair to say it would need a restoration
mechanically and paint, but it will run with the right expertise and the body
is solid, unlike many other FC's. It has been garage kept, plus service
records are available. The price is $850.00 and I live in the Los Angeles
County area. I'm not real anxious to part with it, it may end up going with
us after all, but considering what it is, the price is fair.