[FC] oil pressure on greenbrier

The Source, Inc. corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Aug 5 21:35:01 2003

Gentlemen,
An excerpt from our oil pressure switch product bulletin:

> Replacement Series Oil Pressure Switch Part # RS OPS
> 1/8" - 27 N.P.T. dry seal thread,  3 - 7= lbs. pressure, normally closed.
> Spade terminal electrical connection per original. OEM mfg.
>
> Ultra Series Oil Pressure Switch  HP" = High Pressure  Part # US OPS HP -
> 1/8" - 27 N.P.T. dry seal thread,  8 - 12  lbs. pressure, normally closed.
> Stud, nut terminal electrical connection - supplied with new solder
> less "ring" terminal.
>
> Our HP Higher Pressure switch will indicate low oil pressure
> considerably sooner than with a factory stock oil pressure switch; the
> "idiot light" would indicate to you that there was a temperature and
> or pressure problem (at three (3) psi oil pressure wouldn't your
> engine already be damaged ! )

I measure oil pressure at the factory switch location with a calibrated
gauge
and we always replace both the oil filter & oil cooler bypass valves
during overhaul procedures
I have found that with either 10w 30 & 10w 40 at idle cold +40 psi  hot
+15 psi

We also have a modernized - improved oil pressure bypass valve.
An adjustable oil pressure regulator is under development.
If installing a high volume pump  take the time and effort to enlarge -
port  the small restrictive pump ports in the rear housing + 300%  in
size and also drill the case itself  main bearing & cam oil feeds for
more flow; not pressure.
De burr , De flash, and Clean up the  oil drain backs - it  only take
about 6 hours ...with proper tools.
David