[FC] need help in ID'ing a rear axle (no Corvair directly)

Tue Aug 19 22:29:00 2003

Hey guys and gals,
This past weekend I went down to western KY to see my brother near Kentucky
Lake. I hadn't seen him in almost a year, so we had a blast picking at each
other (he's smaller than I am, about 5'11 and 180#)... anyway, he had managed to
do quite a bit of horse trading and wound up with a small "pull behind
trailer"... it's really cool, though, and he gave it to me!!! The axle that is under
this 6.5'x4' bed is an old Ford axle... and I mean OLD. The hubs have been
redrilled to use an old Chevy rim (early 30s vintage?) but the hub has the old
Ford screw on type wheel bearing dust cover. The hubs have a brake type lining
on the outter edge. The differential is symetrical, and is bolted together in
the very center, and out by the wheels where the bearings would be are two
little screw-on caps that hide the grease holes.... oh, and the rear spring looks
like it belongs on a covered wagon, a big transverse 3 or 4 ply leaf spring.
My question is was it a "T" Ford or an "A" Ford or something else... It is
the perfect size to pull behind the 'brier, and it is high enough that I don't
wear out my back loading it.
Any info would be appreciated, and any pictures would help... I haven't been
able to locate any pix on the web.
Please respond privately.
Thanks a bunch!
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in Crittenden, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
Check out the 2004 Convention Web Site: www.kycorsa.com