[FC] Re: <VV> one wire alternator thanks

Fri Aug 22 15:59:01 2003

In a message dated 8/22/03 10:32:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
lonwall@corvairunderground.com writes:

<< So I don't misunderstand Bob - you mean you don't recommend ONLY a one
 wire hookup. The "one wire" alternators that we all sell are actually
 2-wire systems (the second being the idiot light sender you mention). Lon >>

One-wire alternators have ONLY one wire connecting them to the car's
electrical system. That is why they are called one-wire alternators. That means the
the GEN light is inoperative. I think that it is a bad idea to not have the GEN
light operational. So I don't recommend the one-wie alternators. In addition,
the remote voltage sense circuit is also inoperable so that it is possible the
battery can be undercharged.

Now if one were to retain the one-wire connection AND add the second wire to
connect the GEN light, they no longer have a one-wire alternator. It is now a
two-wire system. That is a good idea for sure, but if you go to the trouble of
hooking up the second wire, it just makes sense to also hook up the third
wire and go all the way. It is a very easy addition!  Why stop at adding only the
second wire?  That third wire is as desirable as the second wire in my
opinion. People just don't understand the function of the third wire.

So now you have the standard three-wire system that I have always be
recommending. Why not just buy a three-wire alternator (a 10SI or 12SI) in the first
place (they're cheaper anyhow!) and do the standard three wire hook up?
Installing a one-wire alternator makes no sense in my opinion. Besides, you will have
to rev the engine to get it to charge, I'm told. That can be disconserting.

I sure hope that this clears up any questions on one-wire vs three wire
systems.
Regards to all,
Bob Helt