[FC] Greenbrier audio systems

Dale K. Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Dec 28 21:40:07 2003

At 21:22 12/22/03 -0800, Bill Wells wrote:
>I have decided it is time to put a decent sound system
>in the old 'brier and wanted to poll the group to see
>what you have done.

Hello Bill,

When we bought our '64 Greenbrier the PO kept the radio as part of the
deal.  He had put 4" speakers in the bottom of the front doors and kept
these too.  I installed a Realistic (Radio Shack) AM/FM/Cassette in the
stock location and opened up the holes in the doors to fit a pair of
Realistic 6 X 9 coaxial speakers.  So far I have had no problem with
jarring of the speakers by door closing, however this setup is okay for the
front seat passengers only.  I have future plans to install an additional
pair of 6 X 9's in the rear corners, but I need to fashion some panels out
of at least 1/4 or 3/8" plywood.

I already have plans for a sound system to be installed in a '63 Greenbrier
we plan to restore as a modified "Convention Cruiser."  I already have a
Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD head unit that will be installed most likely in the
center-dash ashtray panel.  This will feed a set of component (6-1/2"
woofer & separate tweeter) speakers in the front doors, a second pair of
component speakers in the rearmost side door and opposing panel, and a
separate amp to power subwoofers mounted in sealed enclosures in the rear
corners.  Of course this might be subject to change depending on what I can
get at a good price on eBay.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI
---