[FC] FC Rear Axle Bearing

Paul M. Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Feb 2 01:55:01 2003

I seriously doubt that they can find any...... I have been doing this for over
20 years and when I first found out that the bearing was being discontinued, I
contacted all the bearing houses and manufacturers and bought all that I
could.  I have a friend that did the same thing and between us, we cleaned
house of all bearings that were to be found.  Sold most of them to Clarks
through the years.  The only time that I find any now is when they show up at
a flea market or if I run across a old auto parts store.  The problem today is
that the auto parts stores change suppliers every few years, because in the
bearing trade, there is a policy that the new company takes all the obsolete
parts and gives credit for newer part numbers to replace them.  Hence, they
make it to the trash quickly.  I was able to buy them from the bearing
suppliers in the past, but stopped contacting them because they hadn't come
across a NOS Corvair bearing in over two years!  They all said, don't call us,
we will call you!  Guess that said it all....... I think that there might be
one in the garage, but it is too cold to look tonight........ I have parts
stored all over the place and sometimes it is hard to keep track of
them....... thanks Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Merv Krull
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 1:48 AM
  Subject: Re: [FC] FC Rear Axle Bearing

  Well... I checked my local NAPA store to see if they could track one down
  just for the exercise mainly. But there is a good chance I will need one or
  maybe both sides replaced sooner or later. They were fairly quick at
finding
  some numbers, but due to the cost (about $300 CDN), they were
understandably
  not too willing to order one in for me on spec. Therefore, I have not been
  able to confirm a match at this time.
  Merv