[FC] Re: <VV> FC Rear Axle Bearing

Paul M. Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Feb 2 23:32:01 2003

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry Forman
  To: Williams, Rickie ; 'virtualvairs@corvair.org'
  Cc: 'corvanatics@corvair.org'
  Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 11:17 PM
  Subject: [FC] Re: <VV> FC Rear Axle Bearing

  At 03:49 PM 2/1/2003 -0600, Williams, Rickie wrote:
  >I decided today to regrease the rear wheel/axle bearings on my Greenbrier
  >today following the procedure outlined in the Tech Guide.
  >
  >The left side went smooth, but the right side I am a bit worried about.
On
  >the left side, the bearing shell was made up of the retaining ring and
then
  >four layers of metal...two of what I presume are referred to as dust
shields
  >and then the two that hold the races.  On the right side though, all that
is
  >present is the two halves that hold the races...no dust shields and no
  >retaining ring.
  >
  >So for kicks, I called the local parts store and asked them to look up the
  >bearing for me.  They actually think that they can get one.  The reason
  >though for this message is to ask if anyone knows if the following part
  >number is valid for an FC rear axle bearing...
  >
  >BCA National RW607NR
  >
  >As for the bearing on the axle, I noticed that the rubber seal on the
  >bearing's outermost edge had HYATT 3568 on it...but I do not know if this
is
  >just the number for the seal itself or if it's the number for the whole
  >bearing.
  >
  >I gave the parts man all of the numbers in the table in the suspension
  >section of the tech guide for FC rear wheel bearing, but none of those
  >numbers were any good to him.  Thus, my concern for the number he has
  >ordered.
  >
  >Any feedback would be appreciated.
  >
  >Rickie Williams
  >Columbia, KY

  Hi Rickie,
  IF these are the infamous Green bearings, they are ball bearings versus the
  roller bearings that are needed.  You should be aware that using these low
  quality/low reliability bearings could place you in a severely dangerous
  situation if the bearings fail.  The rear axle bearings are the ONLY thing
  retaining your axle.  If they fail, your axle can come out in a cornering
  situation.  If that happens it also takes with it the brake drum, which
  disables your brakes totally, assuming you have the stock single master
  brake cylinder.  Thus you have a wheel lost as well as your brakes.  This
  is possibly the most dangerous condition you could encounter.  Stay clear
  of any inferior ball bearing replacements.
  -- Larry

  Larry....... I have been using a Green bearing in my car for over 6000 miles
now, and yes you are correct about the bearing failing and the axle comming
out being dangerous.  This can happen with any bearing, be it a Delco, BCA,
Hyatt, L&S, etc.  If the bearing fails, no matter who the manufacturer is, the
results could be the same.  Having said that, the bearings don't fail without
warning.  They will start to rumble and the wheel will wobble.  I know,
because in 1963 my Corvair Spyder lost the bearing after only 3000 miles and
the wheel did come out somewhat.  If I knew then, what I know now, then I
would have recogonized the sound of the bearing going bad.  With the noise
level of a turbo, you can easilly miss the sound.  I doubt that you would miss
the sound of a bad bearing with a FC.  Besides, today people are aware of the
problem and they usually check things like this periodically..... or at least
the people that I know that drive their Corvairs regularily do........ don't
know about others....... Paul in CT