[FC] new FC owner

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Feb 11 19:39:00 2003

1)  I don't see how wider tires can help with jacking, that's a
suspension issue.  Now, stiffer shocks will help by preventing sudden
camber changes, but wider tires don't really matter since when the
suspension jacks you're up on the corner of the tread anyway.  The 225s
on ours look like about the widest tire that will fit, the big tires
are a good idea more from the perspective of getting enough load
rating, it's hard to find anything narrower that's got enough capacity.

2)  There isn't enough clearance on the inside front to fit a 7" rim
with proper offset.  In fact, the stock 5" rim is as far in as you can
go.  Any additional width will be on the outside of the wheel.  I'd go
with 6" wheels on an FC (in fact, that's exactly what's on our GB).

For a really long discussion of wheels and tires, try my website:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 11:50 PM, hmoore@sandiego.edu wrote:

> I was told to fit the largerst (widest) tires
> that I could in the wheel wells to maximize traction and to help
> prevent wheel
> jacking.  I also have a set of 14x7 mags (with I think the correct
> offset, or
> atleast that is what I was told.

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa