[FC] Windshield installation

Mon Jul 21 22:30:01 2003

In a message dated 7/21/03 9:04:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca writes:

> I'm at a loss as to your "dilemma". There's simply no problem cutting and
> gluing the longer seal to obtain a perfectly fitting leak-free weatherstrip.
> Take a good look at a "1-piece" seal, It'll have a seam too.
> I think your torture was self inflicted. The glass shop should have known
> better too, I would avoid him in the future.
> Nothing personal, Shaun

Well, Shawn, my "dilemma" revolves around vendors who advertise one thing,
but send another (and then do not stand behind their products).  The first
gasket was advertised as a one-piece part, ready for use.  There was no mention in
the catalog of a need to cut and fit; likewise, there were no installation
instructions-of any type what so ever-included with the gasket.  I'm perfectly
aware that one-piece gaskets have a seem, and I much prefer the vendor
vulcanized seam to any glued one I could make.  I've seen some field glued seams
separate as the gasket shrinks with age.  Everyone works to a different level of
perfection; I guess in this case, my level is higher than yours....Nothing
personal.  Thank you very much, but I'll continue to do repeat business only from
vendors who prove to be honest and back up their gear when something goes wrong.

Mike Mauro