[FC] suspensions changes on my greenbrier (long, but feedback appreciated)

Mon Jul 28 12:28:00 2003

Hello everyone,

i am in the process of making the following changes on my greenbrier, and it looks like it will significantly impact the handling (hopefully for the better).  here is what i am doing and a question to follow

1. replaced front suspension mount to a '64.  i replaced my front mount with the one that provides more access to the harmonic balancer.  this definately shifted the motor forward, as my old mount was pre '63

2. replaced the transmission mounts at the front, where the front trans mount attaches to body

3. replaced all busings at rear suspension including the a-arm bushings

4. installed the famous ken hand mustang springs on the front

here is the question:

i got the tires back on and the car off the jacks last nite, and it looks like the rear wheels are angled in (camber or caster ?), ALOT more than they were before i started.  the powertrain lined up very nicely when i reinstalled without any issues.  as previously stated, the change to the '64 mount definately moved the powertrain forward, maybe @6 inches, i know this because my positive cable would not reach after reinstallation and it took forever to figure out why.

i thought that moving powertrain forward would cause rear wheels to toe out more not toe in.  i also thought the suspension would improve with toe out, not in (wider is better?)

i will try to get a test run tonite and see how it handles.

i was wondering if anyone had thoughts about:

1. is it better to increase or decrease to toe at rear wheels, and are there any other adjustment points

2. should a change to the '64 bracket and the forward move of the powertrain cause this?

will let everyone know how these changes impact the van, cost, and whether i think it was worth the money and time when complete

thx
keith