[FC] Meaning of the Word "Brier"

Wed Jun 25 23:51:01 2003

In a message dated 6/25/2003 9:47:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mcapalbo@pacbell.net writes:

<< Dear Corvanatics,
 Ever look Brier up in the dictionary?
 BRIER: disparangingly offensive term used in OH, KY & TN: a rustic hillbilly
from Appalachia "brier hopper"

Marcello,
That term came about in the 1920s and 1930s when all the "Hillbillies" left
the hills and headed north for the jobs in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana... the
"Brier Hoppers" were stealing the jobs from the city-boys...
About that time my Grandfather "Red" Anderson got a job on a radio station in
Louisville, WHAS, and then in Covington, Ky, WCKY, and went by the title "The
Red Headed Brier Hopper" singing hillbilly & folk tunes and "bluegrass"
before it was called such. Grandpa performed all over the south throughout the
1930s, and had a regular radio show on WSB in Atlanta for almost 6 years. In that
time he put out about 50 records, of which I've been able to find two. If by
any chance there are some old 78 rpm record collectors out there, I'd be
interested in any of Grandpa's records... he had several aliases, so if anyone is
interested in looking, send me a private response and I'll share the details.
Thanks, and if it helps any, I owe all my love for wierd cars to Grandpa...
he had a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk when I was in grade school, and that car
would fly!
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson