[FC] Corvair Parts Story

Mon Mar 10 18:51:01 2003

   I was contacted by a fellow about a week ago and said he had some Corvair
parts he wanted to get rid of and would rather see them go to a Corvair
person rather than throw them in the dumpster. At the time he called we were
about 200 miles north of home in Mi. We were just starting back home when
this call came and the stop was half way, on the way home. Well, 13 miles out
of the way! When I called to let him know where we were and he said his last
name a light bulb flickered on in my brain. I knew that name but couldn't
remember from where. Just about when we got to his house things became very
familiar. I had been there about 12 years earlier with Byron Shaw. He was
looking at a 6.2 diesel engine and the guy was into dune buggies and Corvair
power.
   He showed me what he had left, the dune buggy was long gone. Everything
that he showed me would and did fit in the back of a full size pickup. I saw
some of the good stuff when I looked, but I just unloaded the truck and put
stuff away. In the parts area there were 2 complete 4 spider posi diffs, 1
3.89 gear set, 1 4.11 gear set, 1 saginaw trans, several machined 140 heads
but only 1 stock head, a Mallory dual point dist., plus the normal everyday
stuff that comes in a deal like this. He also handed me a stack of papers and
books. In that stack was Communique's from '86 & '87, an Isky catalogue, a
distributor curve book, 65-69 Chevrolet service news, and the big find was an
original Yenko Stinger Tech Manual.
   I know I haven't said anything about price yet. The fellow hinted that he
would give me the parts! But, he really wanted something for them. WEELLL, I
ended up giving him $200. He was happy his attic and garage was cleaned out
and I am happier yet because the race car just got a spare differential.

   Ken Hand
   Sometime things do go your way.