[FC] Front coils... revisited

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri May 9 08:18:00 2003

How much difference does it make if you remove 1 coil vs. 1 1/2 of a coil?  Is
this a critical dimension?  What is the best brand & model front shock to use
with the Rustang coils to get a smooth ride with good handling
characteristics?  Any recommendation on the rear springs & shocks to round out
the improvements in the front?  thanks Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: VairMech@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 8:12 AM
  Subject: Re: [FC] Front coils... revisited

  In a message dated 5/8/2003 11:23:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, r75@shaw.ca
  writes:

  > I'd be interested in hearing about people's experience
  > with cutting stock coils vs mustang coils. What kind of
  > ride will be produced by each. Am I to understand that
  > the stock coils get stiffer and the mustang coils get
  > softer? I think this is what I've gleaned from postings

     As you cut springs, any of them, they get stiffer. The stock springs are
  already so stiff you hit your head on the roof with a small bump! The
mustang
  coils will also get stiffer but not to the extent that you would even come
  close to hitting your head on bumps. The KYB's should be just fine. I don't
  know what your ride is like now but what I have experienced is that the
  mustang coils cut 1 or 1 1/2 coils and reshaped on the end will give you a
  Cadillac like ride out of the front! That same bump you used to hit your
head
  on now you wonder, did we run over something?
     Ken Hand