[FC] TIRE SIZES on rampy

Jeffrey Wells corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon May 26 22:19:00 2003

Tim wrote:

most alloy wheels around here are corroded badly from our salty
winters..including the ones on my 99 park ave and my roadmaster.  wouls take
hours opf
polishing to bring them back. regards tim

I know all about that, although Pa. hasn't been that bad lately; the state
has been using brine rather than rock salt on the roads (cheaper; but the
sides of my cars now don't have salt all over them at winter's end).  What
I've noticed about alloys is how they accumulate grime in between the wheel
and tire.  This grime (whatever it is) works its way under the tire bead and
causes "seeper" leaks.  I've had to demount a couple of tires from alloys
and scrape/emory cloth this stuff out to restore a proper seal.  I've never
had to do this with steel wheels.
BTW, I said that I have 1/2" clearance between the rear tires and the
fenders of the Corvan.  I meant 1 inch.  Must have been thinking of
something else... probably the 245/60s on 7-inch Chevy truck wheels that I
took off.  They were awful!

Jeff Wells
Blue Mountain/Lehigh Valley Corvair Clubs; CORSA, too
jfwells@ptd.net

'65 Monza
'64 Corvan
and other stuff