[FC] Transmission woes

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Nov 14 12:43:01 2003

I'd put your known good trans back in.  If you are putting an early trans
and smaller input shaft in, be sure to change the diff snout seal as it is
smaller to match the shaft.  You would only need the larger shaft if you are
racing or really abusing the vehicle.  A million Corvairs are/were running
around with the smaller shaft and they do just fine.  A tip I've found to
work better is to fill both the trans and the diff separately.  It takes
forever for the oil to run into the trans and sometimes you think it is full
but it isn't!  Low oil level will kill a trans or diff in a hurry!  Also be
sure you have the right gasket with the oil hole in it at the bottom to
match the hole in the diff.  If you put a Powerglide gasket in by mistake,
the oil won't go thru like it is supposed to.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Charles M. Wrobel
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:55 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Transmission woes

I had a problem with the differential (389) in my 63
Corvan (with 4 speed) and took it to our local Corvair
mechanic who located a replacement (327) with a
fourspeed attached to it that seemed fine. The complete
unit was installed. Right away there were some problems
with the new transmission and eventually (in less than a
month) the whole transmission failed. I never had a
problem with the old transmission and I'm wondering if
maybe it should be put back in there. The mechanic is
thinking we should fix the newer transmission so that we
can stay with the larger shaft.

What's the general opinion out there regarding the input
(?) shaft. Is it that essential to have the later,
heavier duty one or can you get by with the smaller one?
I realize they are not directly interchangeable.

My automotive knowledge is limited so please excuse my
ignorance and use small words if you are kind enough to
answer.

thanks,

Charles

PS - on a positive note, the 327 diff is fantastic with
my 110. It feels like about 10HP boost or something, I
can't imagine going back to the 389's

---