[FC] weight

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Oct 9 22:32:00 2003

The folks who've done it say you can tow a Corvair car with an FC.
That's kind of tough for engine longevity, I'd comment that cooling and
brakes need to be in good shape and I've pasted in my summary from my
previous query on the subject (note that the original question involved
towing our '65 Corsa autocross car 800 miles from Va to Daytona).  I
wouldn't worry about 850 too much as long as you're confident of your
equipment.

Conclusions:
Towing the above car is within the capabilities of a GB, but you are
making
said GB work pretty hard so it needs to be in good shape.  Following
equipment/options are required:
  - 3.55 or lower axle
  - 164 ci engine
  - Trans cooler if PG
  - Cooling system fully functional (many details)
  - Ditto the brakes
  - Do *NOT* let the engine ping (many details)
  - Load items into front, not back, of towed car
  - Stable alignment for towed car (not auto-x specs)
  - Do a test run first if possible (10 to 50 miles)
  - Cell phone/Corsa roster/gold credit card
  - Good attitude.  We are trying to have fun, not make a speed run.

Suggested additional equipment/modifications:
  - Synthetic oil/trans/diff lube
  - HD brake linings/dual master cyl (good ideas anyway)
  - SafeGuard knock eliminator
  - Lower drag tires for towed car
  - Shift weight to front of towed car
  - HD plastic wrap for front of towed car
  - Shift weight to middle of GB
  - Additional trans/oil cooling
  - Remove lower shrouds (summer use)
  - Drive at night in summer when possible, traffic moves slower and
it's cooler
  - Alternator conversion
  - Extra guages
  - Better than bumper hitch for GB
  - Magnetic or clip on lights for towed vehicle