[FC] FC brake UPGRADES

Keith Hammett corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Oct 10 11:31:01 2003

Brake Fade is when the brake pads or shoes heat up to a point that the
coefficient of friction is no longer effective between the pads/shoes and
the rotor/drum.  Fluid type (air/DOT3/Silicone) does not matter for brake
fade!  If you have ever driven in the mountains then you have seen the
emergency ramps (most people think they are just for trucks, wrong), most
vehicles that are pulled from these have no brake problems, except that the
driver over used his brakes heating them up and losing friction!

Boiling brake fluid is when you have heated the fluid in the
caliper/cylinder from way over using your brakes.  This will occur if you
continue to use your brakes after fading has occurred.  After letting brakes
cool one will usually have spongy brakes from the air that gets trapped in
the lines.  I would recommend that if you have boiled the brake fluid that
you change it.

This summer when we went up Pikes Peak the ranger at the bottom told me to
make plenty of stops on the way down that minivans tend to over heat their
brakes.  I drove straight down and at the brake check station the ranger
that checked the brake temperature said that I was in great shape and to
continue on.  I still sat there for about 15 minutes to allow some cooling
before proceeding.  Knowing how to drive is the best way to avoid Brake Fade
and boiling of brake fluid.  I did this with less than 70% of brake pads
left on the van.  BTW the van is a 2000 windstar.

Keith Hammett