[FC] FC brake UPGRADES

David C. Herrin III corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri Oct 10 22:29:01 2003

Harry,
Choosing the correct friction materials is crucial to operation.
Original Metallics Delco Moraine and Velvetouch ( No Longer Available )
had several serious shortcomings for street driving
and the material wore the drums
- 2 to 3 sets of drums during service life...

Recently one of our technical staff rode the brakes till they "failed"
and when he applied the parking brake -  our US "Street Kevlar" still
functioned. He had boiled DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid. DOT 3, 4, & new
5.1 Glycol attract moisture and this moisture lowers the boiling
point... ... DOT 5 1) does not like Third World rubber components, 2)
aerates - traps air - spongy pedal if not handled properly.

You have seen my 1971 Nova SS in my garage - 1 mile from ocean
  it was converted about 20 years ago ... the fluid has no detectable
moisture content.

David

hmoore@sandiego.edu wrote:

> Some more qeustions.  How do metalic brakes help stop brake fade, is the
> coefficient of friction higher on them? or does the meterial resist/disipate
> heat better (or is that what a higher coefficeient of friction is?)  Also, the
> proper way to drive a brier (or any car) in hills is to apply the brakes hard
> till you slow then let off of them, is that correct?
Yes and use the transmission - engine braking to slow vehicle.
Mainly do not ride the brakes !; they cannot effectively disperse the
heat if constantly applied.

   What about for highway
> and freeway braking or just regular driving for that matter?  The short
> wheelbase does have some effect on the drving requirements, yeah?  What about a
> power brake booster, would that have helped the brier that lost its brakes in
> the mountains?
Power boosters make up for weak legs VBG and loss of pedal feel