[FC] FC brake UPGRADES

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Oct 13 15:41:01 2003

While I agree with Rad regarding the relative lack of engine braking in
an FC, I'll also mention that the need for it is considerably less
because of wind resistance.  An FC at idle on a 5% grade at 50 mph
doesn't pick up speed very quickly (Some might point out they don't
pick up speed that quickly at full throttle either :-).  There really
isn't much need to ride the brakes hardly at all under most
circumstances, and as long as they aren't already at the point of heat
fade it's quite unlikely you'll fade them with one stop.

On Saturday, October 11, 2003, at 11:59 PM, Rad Davis wrote:

> Powerglide guys need not fear that they have less braking.  I can
> state with some authority that a loaded manual trans FC doesn't get
> particularly much braking from the engine when going down a 5-7% grade
> in either fourth or third.  It's the brakes or nothing.

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa