[FC] SWAPPING 4-SPD.FOR AN AUTO.(long)

Keith Hammett corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Sep 4 12:40:01 2003

Thanks Tim,

I did not think that there was a real difference between the different cuin
engine PG's.  I will continue on my 110 hp transplant as was previously
scheduled.  The late engine will bolt to the early FC PG and roll on!

Thanks again.

Keith Hammett

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of N2VZD@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 11:30 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [FC] SWAPPING 4-SPD.FOR AN AUTO.(long)

as far as i know(and i have installed a lot of crazy combos over the years)
there is no real difference to stop you from putting any powerglide in the
truck. yes there were 3 or 4 different units made, the lever is different on
late
units(it will work) there was an extra clutch plate in some 140 and truck
glides(so what? it would never show up in using it) there were 2 different
bell
housings  63 back and 64 up, it only places the crank seal in a different
place(i think) i have used both with either or with no problems. if you have
force anything to get it together regroup and look at it dont go any
farther. i
fixed one once that the guy got together somehow withthe shaft in backwards.
it
ran but not very fast!. hope this helps you, i am doing stuff like that on
my
own  van and truck as we speak. regards tim colson(start the flames now...)
ps:
late bellhousing on early crank SHOULD have a spacer on the seal , but it
works ok without.