[FC] The latest adventure of Red Brier

Bryan Blackwell corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Sep 4 13:18:01 2003

Announcer: Continuing the story of our heroine van Red Brier, we pick
up the latest adventure in the Blackwell's carport the morning of
Friday, 29 August, where Bryan and Ellie are discussing the current
plan [director's note: although the audience will realize that comedy
will ensue, the actors should play the parts straight].

Bryan: So, all we've got to do is put the engine crank seal in, find
and assemble the missing engine mount parts which are in a box
somewhere in the basement, put in the missing rear shroud seal, pack
the van with camping gear, load up the kids, then drive to Pennsylvania
from Virginia the Friday before Labor Day before it gets dark so we can
set up these tents we've never seen before.
Ellie: Right.  Did you get directions?
Bryan: They're on the web site.  I think you go north of Harrisburg and
turn left.
Ellie: I see.  [to herself] I'm bringing a map.
[Fast forward through installation of a crank seal, rummaging through
boxes, a couple of trial assemblies, cursing the ancestry of the
previous owners, children being advised regarding how tools left in the
sun (now high in the sky) get hot, replacing hubcaps, more trial
fitting, searching of missing fasteners, and finally lowering Red from
the jackstands].
Bryan: Look, it runs!
Red [to herself]: Of course.  I'm the lead character.
Ellie: Great!  I packed our bags. [Camera cuts to duffel bag,
foreshadowing later scene].
[Scene opens at 5 p.m. at gas station in Virginia.  Rain is falling in
monsoon like sheets when not being blown horizontally.]
Bryan: Well, maybe it won't be raining in Pennsylvania.
Ellie: Suuure.
Bryan: We'll just drive right through it!
Red [to herself]: Maybe he should come out *here* and try driving
through it.
[Cut to scene at convenience store in small Pennsylvania town.  It is
clearly late at night and still raining].
Ellie: So perhaps now is not the best time to figure out how to pitch
these tents?
Bryan: Maybe not.
[They enter the store.]
Clerk: Can I help you?
Bryan: Um, are there any hotels in town?
Clerk [clearly surprised]: Oh, no, there sure aren't.
Bryan: Er, well, how about the next town?
Clerk: Well, if you go that way [points] for, uh, a few miles, then,
um, follow 61, then turn, uh, toward Paxinos it'll be right there on
the road.
Ellie: Ok, thanks.
[Bryan and Ellie walk outside]
Bryan: I think we'll just use the Force to find it.
Ellie: You doubt your trophy winning navigator?
Bryan: Of course not, I know the Force is strong in you.
[Scene changes to Red parked outside the Glosser Inn the following
morning]
Ellie: So what's the name of the campground we're meeting at?
Bryan: Um, I don't know.  [Brightly] But I have directions!
Ellie: Yes, but it might be easier to find if we knew the name of the
place where we were going.
Bryan: You could use the Force some more.
Ellie: I think I will.
[Fast forward through the Pennsylvania countryside]
Ellie: Turn in here.
Bryan: Look! A bunch of VW camper vans!
Kids: Are we there yet?
Bryan: No, this is the part where you get to watch dad...
Kids [in unison]: ...stand around and talk about cars.  Can we go to
the playground?
Bryan [to Ben Stiles]: Yeah, these hub caps came on '70s Novas - say,
which year VW Bus is that?
Kids: Bye dad.
[Some time passes]
Ben: Time to caravan to Knoebel's Amusement Park!
Kids: Yay!
Bryan: I guess I'm done talking about cars for now.
Kids: Yay!

To be continued...

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa