[FC] What type of synthetic transmission fluid is OK in a Powerglide

Mon Sep 15 19:52:01 2003

In a message dated 9/15/2003 4:27:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
VairMech@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 9/13/2003 9:47:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Wild8bill@aol.com writes:
> I've heard that If you go to a synthetic on an old engine, you may get a
> lot of leaks. The detergent effect of the synthetic will clean out the gunk
> filling any little cavities and imperfections in the gasket; and this may
> not
> leave enough gasket to hold the pressure.
>   Then you were on borrowed time. It was time to replace the gasket anyway.
> The gunk is not a gasket, just a false sense of security!
>   Ken Hand

   I also remember being told that the tolerances on the pre-CAD/CAM era
machining left imperfections that were expected to be filled or plugged by the
type and quality of the oils and fluids available at that time. All this was
relayed to me by an 80 year old diesel mechanic, who by his very nature is surly
and skeptical. Still, I only use synthetic oils and fluids on my new cars, and
only then if I can make sure to replace the factory fluids before the vehicle
has 100 miles on it (he also said that switching to synthetic oil after the
car's been broken in is useless, and then you should stay with regular oil and
save about $5 a quart).

Everyone keep me posted on their experience with synthetics, my mind isn't
made up yet.

Bill