[FC] Re: Why Vacuum Advance?

galaxyflyer1 corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Apr 8 13:58:00 2004

Thank You Ken. This now helps me understand. I thought the more you open the throttle, the more advance you get. But your saying that a steady throttle opening will cause the unit to retard back? Thats what I did not know. I'm sure that the engineers developed this for a good reason. Just had to know. When I disconnected it, I was able to advance the timing much more at idle with no ping at road test, therefore having the overall engine vacuum higher (at idle) seeming to result in a smoother run. But maybe its all in my head!

Thanks,
Bob Pahlke
63 Greenbrier