[FC] Re: WC: fan pulley bolt headache

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Apr 27 23:15:01 2004

Sears sells a nut easy out that works well when you have a bolt head that is
damaged.  I have used them successfully in the past.  One thing that I do is
to use a punch and tap around the side of the head hoping that the shock will
break the bond of rust.  I would only drill as a last resort.  Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Merv and or Loretta
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org ; corvairs@cybrus.net
  Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 8:43 PM
  Subject: [FC] Re: WC: fan pulley bolt headache

  Used a six point, ripped off the points, extractor pretty much made it
round,
  vice-grips won't fit into that tight space, torch is gonna cause some
  excitement when the magnesium fan lights up (which will solve the
problem!).
  I'm gonna try to drill off the head like a rivet, pop the pulley and fan
off,
  then deal with the left over chunk of bolt still stuck in the backing
plate.
  Let ya know what happens next!
  Merv Krull
  Salmon Arm, BC