[FC] Re: Early FC shifter boot

Bill Wells corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Apr 28 12:20:01 2004

Bob,

I have used one of these boots and other than its
cost, was happy with the installation. If you are
having issues staying in gear, there are many parts in
the shift linkage and driveline that can cause this.
My two major problem areas are the front shift support
bracket on the front crossmember and the rear motor
mount. The front bracket, if worn badly, will cause
very sloppy action in the shifter. I found a great
replacement at a large hardware store. It is a
bronze/pot metal/steel pillow block type bearing that
swivels. It has the correct 5/8 bore and provision for
lube.
The rear mount, if loose, will allow the entire
drivetrain to move fore/aft quite a bit. Check the
torque on this bolt, as it should be something like 70
ft/lbs. Mine loosens as the rubber donut ages and
allows movement, which kicks me out of gear upon
decelleration at times.

Good Luck,
Bill

3 'Briers