[FC] Emissions Testing

Joel McGregor corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Aug 5 12:50:01 2004

I feel for you people.  Our emissions tests only go back 25 years so even my
'71 G10 is exempt.  I do have an '86 Fiero that I have to make pass.
If your carbs are in good shape then I agree with the other tips.  I'll put
mine in order of what I think are the most important.
1. Hot engine.  I'm not sure how much difference this will make on a
non-catalytic vehicle but my Fiero passes with about a tenth of the allowed
emissions when I run it in 2nd all the way to the inspection place.
(if you have trouble passing NOx and nothing else then you want a cooler
engine.) Generally speaking HC & CO go down with a hot engine & NOx goes up.
2. Fresh oil & Gas
3. Good fresh spark plugs/ignition system
I do pray about my Fiero before I take it in because it has a funky idle and
smells rich but it always passes with flying colors anyway.
I just smile as my Greenbrier causes the other cars to fail from the fumes.
I doubt that really happens but it's nice to not have the test or the
expense and to know that your vehicle will pass before you take it in.

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"