[FC] 140 dual/single exhaust for GB

Dale Dewald corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Aug 18 22:20:01 2004

Hello,

I have made two 140 size exhaust crossovers in the past couple of years:
One for my wife's '65 Monza 110/4 with 140 exhaust logs, flowing into a 4"
SuperTrapp muffler; the other for our '64 Greenbrier 110/4, flowing into a
generic round muffler that "fits."

I brought a stock Corvair crossover to my local exhaust shop (a Muffler
Shop franchise) and had them make up two sets of tubing bends, each set
consisting of:
1) two 3" sections of tube, 1-9/16" OD to fit 140 exhaust donut gaskets.
2) two flared collars for above.
3) one cross tube from 1-3/4" OD tubing, this has a clipped 90 bend, sort
of like an extended  turndown, and two kinks to wrap around the
differential.  The straight end was expanded to about 1-7/8" OD to fit in
2" tubing.
4) one clipped 1-3/4" OD elbow.
5) one 2" OD elbow with an extended tail. Car = 90, FC ~ 75 degrees
I also fabricated two clamping flanges from 5/16" steel plate.

The shop had no problem making up these parts--just a bunch of bends (not
that it makes much difference in our remote area).  I assembled each system
on the car starting with the tubes out of the manifolds.  I cut and fit
until everything was lined up correctly, tack welding as I went.  Then I
took the assembly off and MIG welded it into one piece.

Both systems have a nice low, mellow sound.  The SuperTrapp is a bit
louder, but can be tuned by removing/adding baffles to get rid of the drone
at 55-60 MPH.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI