[FC] Re: Fuel line hose FIRE HAZARD C1046

Louis C. Armer, Jr. corvanatics@corvair.org
Thu Aug 26 00:08:01 2004

Okay, let's get a couple of things clear. First I don't like unsigned posts
from anyone.
Whoever at Clarks sent this post should sign it ! Second, yes my number was
one off
because you prominently displayed a picture of a different hose right next
to the description
in your catalogue and hence I posted the wrong #. I do apologise to Clarks
and the readers
of my original post for this wrong number. Thirdly, in my "hazard" post I
clearly
stated that the hose was less than 1 1/2 years old so that is the range of
months during
which it was ordered from you. The part # C1046 was purchased and shipped
on November
26, 2002 along with all the other parts you sell that are used in rehabbing
an original Corvair
fuel tank and sender. The installation of above mentioned parts occured
either in December
of 2002 or January of 2003. The fuel for the car is premium pump gas and
the car is parked
on a asphalt parking pad or on an open trailer just like most Corvairs for
which you sell fuel line hose.
We also ordered #C1045 for the gas tank filler vent line which I will also
inspect and report my findings
to all concerned.
       I am posting this to you and Virtual Vairs, Fast Vairs and
Corvantics as the hose was a hazard.
It was a weekend situation in which we autocrossed so I was unable to
contact you on Friday night
because you were closed. This may be an isolated situation but I doubt it
and if any part
on my Corvairs poses a hazard to me it will be made public with all the
circumstances involved.
A major concern is I have had reports from others on the list who purchased
their same type fuel
hose from OTHER reliable sellers of rubber fuel line hose. The same type of
detioration occured
with their hoses and may indicate that a production run of a major supplier
of this type hose could
be defective.

Chuck Armer

ps. Checking your stock on C1046 may prove nothing since the hose
detiorated on the vehicle
not in a stock bin at Clarks.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

At 09:19 AM 8/23/04 -0400, you wrote:
>We will do some checking to see if this is a problem, as it has not been.
>In the future please check with us first rather than alerting the world to
>a problem that may be isolated you your car and the fuel or conditions
>that your car has been in, as we have never experienced any problems with
>this hose. The correct part number for the hose you are questioning is
>C1046, so now you have everyone checking the wrong number hose, which is
>why it is important to contact us first with any problems, before alarming
>everyone with erroneous information.
>What fuel and additives have you been using?
>How is the car stored?
>Do you know the date that this hose was ordered from us?
>We will continue checking things on this end to see why your hoses did this.
>Since there are no other posts yet, we are hopeful that this is an
>isolated case, but we would like to find out what caused it.
>

>At 06:23 PM 8/20/04 -0400, you wrote:
>>Scott Trunkhill and I recently rebuilt the front suspension on
>>our x-cross car WTBRT 112. During the rebuild we replaced the
>>fuel sender unit. When I started to take the rubber fuel line
>>hose off the sender line and the tunnel line I observed severe
>>cracking of the rubber hose's outer layer. It was along the entire length
>>of the hose and bad enough you could plainly see the bias cord
>>winding in the hose. I was suprised and alarmed at this and checked
>>the rubber hose over the rear axle as well. It was in the same condition
>>as the fuel sender hose. Now the signifigance of this problem is that
>>hose was less than 1 1/2 years old and was ordered from "Clarks". It
>>is the hose that "Clarks" sells as their part # C1045 and is used at both
>>applications per their instructions in the catalogue. I am posting this to
>>VV and cc to "Clarks". Would a member of FastVairs and Corvantics please
>>cross post for me. Autocrossers and racers please check your rubber fuel
>>lines as this could be a definite Fire Hazard.
>>
>>Chuck Armer
>>

>>Corvair Atlanta, BOD
>>CORSA MEMBER
>>CORSA Tri-Membership Chairman
>>http://carmerjr.home.mindspring.com/
>
>CLARKS CORVAIR PARTS
>INC                                        EMAIL:  CLARKS@CORVAIR.COM
>RT2 400 Mohawk Trail
>Shelburne Falls, MA
>01370                                                INTERNET:
><WWW.CORVAIR.COM>
>

>PHONE                                                       ORDER
>MACHINE                                   FAX
>413-625-9776 Mon-Fri                                          24
>HOURS                                    24 HOURS
>8:30 AM- 5:00 PM
>EST                                     413-625-2558          413-625-8498
>                                                           TOLL FREE-USA &
> CANADA           TOLL FREE-USA &CANADA
>
>888-267-8247 888-625-8498
>
>(888-COR-VAIR)