[FC] 1965 Greenbrier horn ring

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Dec 4 02:16:01 2004

I will defer to some other FC expert, but I can tell you that after I looked
up this part in the various Chevrolet parts books that I have, I became
totally confused as to the correct application as it might apply to the FC.  I
know from personal experience that the part on e Bay is a early design 1961 -
62 passenger car horn blowing ring.  The later design, (I believe mid year
change) has shorter ears on the end and that it is for later 1962 & 1963
passenger cars.  I don't know what year the center cap is for.  The parts
books keep changing the applications each year, but the part numbers sometimes
didn't change.  This was a problem with Chevrolet, many times they would drop
a part from availability and substitute another similar part, however the
"similar" part wasn't even close to fitting the original application.  When I
have time, I will do a complete research of the part numbers and see if I can
figure out what Chevrolet was trying to accomplish with the part description /
number changes.  This is why there are so many NOS parts today.  The books had
mistakes in them and the dealers would have to order a few different parts
until they got what was needed.  The excess parts were never returned and just
sat on the shelf for years till they became obsolete and they were not
returnable to GM for credit.  Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Hyosilver@aol.com
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 1:59 AM
  Subject: Re: [FC] 1965 Greenbrier horn ring

  So now I'm confused.  Does the one one Ebay fit an FC steering wheel?  It
  doesn't look like it is built for a deep dish wheel, it looks fairly flat as
  though it would fit an FC wheel.

  I'm also confused about the reference on the Ebay write-up to it fitting 64
  Deluxe FCs.  I have a 63 Standard Rampside and a 64 Deluxe Rampside, and the
  steering wheels are identical.

  Clarification would be appreciated.

  Larry Hickerson
  Albuquerque