[FC] Rubbing sound in the front end

TiM M corvanatics@corvair.org
Sat Dec 18 13:26:01 2004

     I had the left front wheel bearing replaced a
little while ago. Ever since then I get a rhythmic
rubbing sound from that wheel when I turn to the left
or accelerate up a hill unloading the front end. It's
not noticeable at speed and it doesn't go away when I
apply the brakes.
     The shop said they thought it was the cotter pin
rubbing on the dust cap?? The reason the bearing had
gone bad was that the dust cap was missing on that
wheel (recent purchase on my part) and they had put
one on that had fit, but was not the correct cap. I
ordered a used dust cap from Lon (new wasn't
available)and changed it out. This didn't seem to make
any difference. I've pulled the wheel and can't see
any obvious shinny parts. Any suggestions out there
based on my sketchy and imprecise description of the
problem?

TiM McCann
'61 Electric Rampside